B uilt over a 55-year period beginning in 1924, the four buildings that make up Lone Star Gas Lofts are situated on a full city block bounded by Harwood, Wood, St. Paul and Jackson Streets in downtown Dallas. Two of the structures, the Lone Star Gas Co. and Dallas Gas Company buildings, are historic landmarks and fine examples of Lang and Witchell architecture with beautiful Art Deco details and are Dallas’ latest historic landmarks to be revived by Hamilton Properties in partnership with Central Dallas CDC.
- The Dallas Gas Company building is on the southeast corner of the block and was the first of the four buildings. It was designed by Lang and Witchell and originally constructed as a four story building in 1924.
- The Lone star Gas Co. Building is a thirteen story Art Deco structure with rich street entrances bearing ornate light fixtures. The elaborately appointed lobby once served as the bill payment area, back in the age when paying your bill meant taking a trip downtown, and still has soaring columns with ornamental check stands, a high beamed ceiling in brilliant colors and relief sculptures carved into the stone walls.
- Over the years two additional buildings were constructed, the 1966 middle building and the 1979 Enserch building. The parent company’s name was changed to Enserch Corp. in 1975 and was acquired by TXU in 2004. TXU sold the company to Atmos Energy and in 2005 Atmos Energy vacated the buildings.